Sustainable NYC Hotel Initiatives
At YOTEL, it is important that we give back to the community and do not unnecessarily exploit resources that are harmful to the environment. We therefore internally appoint “green champions” to monitor and encourage leading environmental practices and sustainability principles amongst the crew and our guest. We find the following measures each very important as we take steps to ensure we have a positive impact on our environment, both locally and globally. We believe it is imperative in a city like ours to be a sustainable NYC hotel.
We proudly practice these YOTEL Environmental Initiatives:
- We try to be of no disturbance or trouble to the businesses and people in our local communities.
- Encourage all crew members and guests in our hotel to use our reusable Bobble water bottles.
- We have significantly reduced the amount of energy waste by eliminating the concept of the mini fridge in all cabins and instead replace it with the Galleys on each floors, our version of a small communal kitchen.
- In Galleys, guests have also access to complimentary purified water to fill their own water bottles rather than buy bottled water.
- When appropriate, use digital versions of internal documents rather than hard copies.
- Minimize wastage in our cabins by using refilled shower gel, body wash and shampoo. Any extra amenities can be collected at Mission Control.
- We communicate messages to guests always via the phone, through our kiosks or via digital signage throughout the space, minimizing that traditional ‘letter’ under the door policy that many hotels adopt.
- We automate check in and checkout, preventing the need for printing pages of invoices.
- Encourage guests to return key cards and never issue envelopes for the key cards. The cabin number is printed on the guest receipt.
- We use organic mattresses, made of coir, lamb’s wool and latex.
- And finally… we keep our team fit as well as reducing their carbon footprints at HQ by operating a Cycle-to-Work scheme.